The World Apheresis Association is an umbrella organization for national and international professional societies devoted to the scientific, medical, practical, technical, administrative, and educational aspects of apheresis.
The purposes of the Association are to:
– Provide an organization through which all professional Societies dedicated to research and/or clinical practice in apheresis can communicate and collaborate;
– Foster global collaboration in scientific investigation, research, clinical applications, education and exchange of information relating to apheresis and allied fields in clinical and laboratory medicine;
– Facilitate the availability of safe and effective apheresis techniques for the collection of both cells and plasma as well as the removal or modification of blood constituents in disease;
– Encourage and advance high standards of administrative and technical performance in the field of apheresis;
– Manage a worldwide registry of patients treated by therapeutic apheresis.
In pursuit of the above goals, the WAA:
– Hosts a biennial international Congress devoted to all aspects of apheresis;
– Contributes to the exchange of scientific information through its official journal (Transfusion and Apheresis Science), and a newsletter outlining important developments in apheresis and in member societies;
– Promotes the exchange of information between apheresis physicians and practitioners.